Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The trading post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simpleton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: The trading post

Just a question about the trading post that is kind of annoying. It seems that I have lost several objects because players wait for the very last second and submit a bid before the time expires. I know that we need to respect the time limit but when this is done it kind of takes the idea of an auction away. Would it be possible to add some seconds to the time when a new bid is submitted if the time is about the expire?

I have also noticed that people welch on there bids from time to time. By this people will drive the bid way up on an item then leave the realms after they have been awarded a bid. Can people that do this be banned from bidding for say a couple of days to teach them a lesson? I would also be curious to see if people are experiencing the same things that I see.

I love to use the trading post to both buy and sell things I just think that some players are abusing what it is intended to for.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The trading post

Simpleton wrote:
It seems that I have lost several objects because players wait for the very last second and submit a bid before the time expires.

The same thing happens every minute on eBay. There's not really a way to stop it there, and they do millions of dollars worth of transactions every day. My advice would be to either a) bid on items during times where there aren't a lot of people on, or b) become one of the people that you don't like and bid the same way they do - at the last minute. It'd be nice if everyone could respect the bidding practices, but it's not going to happen.

Quote:
Would it be possible to add some seconds to the time when a new bid is submitted if the time is about the expire?

That could be a possibility (talk to Davairus), but you could potentially keep an auction going for several minutes (even hours) longer than it was intended. If the person submitting the item doesn't want to wait that long or has to leave, it's not fair to them to have to wait because people want to get into a "bidding war."

Quote:
I have also noticed that people welch on there bids from time to time. By this people will drive the bid way up on an item then leave the realms after they have been awarded a bid. Can people that do this be banned from bidding for say a couple of days to teach them a lesson?

After a person "wins" an item, there's a time limit in place for them to come and claim it. If they don't (quit out, decide they don't want it, etc.) then you can 'cancel' the item and get it back, to then re-auction it or sell it directly to someone (possibly the next-highest bidder?).

Quote:
I would also be curious to see if people are experiencing the same things that I see.

I've experienced the same things several times, but I've accepted it. Everyone that was around before the auction system changed was used to having to sit in town and yell the auctions, then recognize individual bids as they were yelled out. You can always try that approach... the 'auction' channel allows you to go around the Trading Post's system if you want, and it might be a solution to your problem.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't bother me. Works fine. Lots of other things are more important.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:

just a suggestion but why dont you like
wait till 5 seconds are left (like the other guy) and bid a price that you know is higher than what he'll bid? that's how you win on ebay right?

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject:

I dunno if this would work, but, why isn't it set up so that when one person bids, they get a "Going once, going twice... gone!" kinda thing, so when they bid, everyone else has a chance to bid on it. That way, the bid just keeps going up until one leaves out of the bid. That would kind of be interesting for all the price-jacker-uppers because they might screw themselves.

That was very super hard to say.

0 0 0
gomer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject:

I have noticed and been subjected to people putting items up for auction and then taking them off of aution right before they auction ends. Kinda like they are showing off there rare and unique items, since everyone hears when an auction is put up.

Would it be possible to make it that once a bid has been placed on an item the seller can not change their mind and remove the item from auction?

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject:

That would be good. In real auctions you can't take your unique +2/+2 painting off. You have to leave it, and it gets sold.

Kinda goes along with my idea: I didn't think about that.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:

They do that because only one person bidded on their eq and they didn't want to sell their uber unique sword for 1000 gold

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject:

What if they'd still be able to set the price for it?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: