Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

PK rewards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Groq
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject:

But i'd never play then cut everyone down cuz that helps even more.

0 0 0
Pops

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry clifton I'm not really sure what you're getting at. I think we've moved past the merits of that particular idea, there isn't really a reason to try and defend it any more. As far as my "reputation" here goes, who cares? The only "reputation" that matters would be the opinions of the coding immortals i.e. Davairus. And as for copouts, how about holding your opinion till you're sure of the immortal reaction, then jumping in guns blazing long after the battle is over to show your support? If you knew the idea sucked when I first posted it, you shoulda said something:

Quote:
I'm just saying everyone should feel obligated to respond to these shit ideas and try to expose their gaping flaws.

My interest in that post was to show that what is a gaping flaw to a coder may often seem like a nice addition to a gamer, even a vet. This concept doesn't really need any further proof than the text of this thread, going back to the begining. There is a difference between judging a log which contains the history of playing a game, and judging an idea which would change the rules and direction of said game. Veteran players have extensive experience with the former, with the latter they do not.

I don't care about being flamed personally, as an adult I have much bigger things to worry about than that. My problem is how these forums can tend to make the game look like a bizzare disfunctional family. They are not representative of the game at all, which although brutal at times, usually has an accepting and respectfull atmosphere.

Every once and a while I try and convince some WOW playing aquantance of mine to give AR a shot, (which is sorta like trying to convince an eight year old to try broccoli instead of pizza) I always tell them to ignore the forums because I'm afraid reading them would put them off the idea of playing here. We really are fighting an uphill battle looking for new players, not because of any defect in the game, but because of the stigma attached to text. The mud community itself may be used to crazy messed up forums, but the mud community is not going to help us. Its too small and stuck in its ways. We need MMO converts to get this game rocking again, and they wont give us a second look if they only have these forums to judge us by. It just doesn't seem fun.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject:

To bring the topic back around to ways to make ranking a bit less of a hassle, I figured I'd throw in my two cents with another idea.

One thing that I think is worth thinking about is renewable quests, by which I mean quests that you can do multiple times. I recognize that this could be abused if there were no time delay between when you completed the quest and when you were given the opportunity to do it again, but I think if some time delays were instituted, being able to do a quest multiple times would help those guys sitting in the 40s and twiddling their thumbs waiting for a suitable ranking party to come around.

There were two methods I thought of as to when to reset the renewable quests. The first was to reset the quest whenever the character gains a rank(maybe every other rank, or every third rank) from 40 on. Obviously this couldn't be done for a quest that gives a ridiculous amount of experience but I think it would be reasonable for a quest or two that gives 1000exp to be reusable which would ultimately give a character up to 10,000 (if 1000exp worth of quests were gained each level from 40 to 50). Of course this number could easily be adjusted by how often those quests could be renewed and which quests are renewed.

The other method I was thinking of with renewable quests had to deal more with time, which I think is the better method. Again, I think that the quest restarts should happen starting at level 40, but in this case, instead of renewing the quests by ranking, they would be renewed every two weeks or so (again, the time period between quests can be changed).

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject:

You guys talk about leveling as if it's hard. It's not.

You have surges. You have pets. And most importantly, you don't have people multikilling you at low levels. So all it really takes is a little bit of time. Ranking in every sort of RPG based environment requires a certain time commitment invested into grinding.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject:

Ergorion, you clearly did not read Davairus's post at all. lol.

If you think the AR forums are bad (which I admit they can at times be) you should actually look at some of these MMO forums you speak about. It's like watching an army of little m1cos argue all day about who has the bigger penis.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject:

" And as for copouts, how about holding your opinion till you're sure of the immortal reaction, then jumping in guns blazing long after the battle is over to show your support? If you knew the idea sucked when I first posted it, you shoulda said something "

Zing!

When I first read Pops' idea I didn't immediately see it as a way to level quickly. Hell, look at the PK stats. How many people do you see racking up 20 pk's in one month? Well, you'd need to do a LOT of pking at 1-2k per kill in order to rely on it as a leveling strategy.

I just thought that getting 1k-2k xp for killing a guy would be a nice bonus and perhaps encourage people to pk - this is a dangerous game, afterall.

Level 40 guy gets 5 pk's in one month, gains 5-10k experience...about an hour worth of grinding. To me that just seems like a nice bonus, not a way to make 'easy leveling waaaay easier'.

I don't think your idea was crap Pops.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject:

I'd farm noobs.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Poor newbies...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Well I hope these forums don't compare directly with official MMO forums, although I'm sure there are some of you that care to visit those kind of places. But you should be able to see that kind of meaningless trash is not appropriate for here. It is a thinking man's game , and as far as exping goes, if its a race to you then you're playing the game wrong. Its supposed to have hobbyist appeal, whether getting something to 100%, or finishing out a level of exp, they're minor achievements to reach that give you something to do .. i.e. its part of "the game". Its not battle arena log on pk everyone til max level and turn in their ears to the juggernaut for uber swords.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: