Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Dwarf vs Duergar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emilise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Dwarf vs Duergar

Ok, so I have been thinking about dwarf stats, vs Duergar stats.

So you have two creatures that are supposed to be cousins, one has moved to the darkness and mostly forsaken the surface world, while the other still dwells in their underground mines, and are more comfortable on the surface.

Now they both have

Racial Characteristics:

Resistant to magic
Vulnerable to water based attacks and spells.
Ability to see in the dark without a light (Infravision).

Now the only downside to this is Duergars are more averse to water so that implies that the vuln is worse for them. Not certain if that is actually true but thats what the webpage appears to say.

Now dwarf stats you have, a total of 103 stats coming to

STR: 22, INT: 17, WIS: 21, DEX: 18, CON: 25

Duergar have a total of 100 stats which I feel is unbalanced. They should have that extra three points somewhere. Theirs are,

STR: 21, INT: 18, WIS: 19, DEX: 20, CON: 22

(Straight from the webpage we have...)
After the Great War which drove the elves from their homeland, victory enjoyed by the forces of evil was shortlived, as the betrayers of the races of elves and dwarf found out. The land too small to house them, they retreated to below ground, into the caverns of the Underdark. A new race evolved from the disgraced, nameless dwarves that left the fords and forests to spend their lives deep underground. Their skin was darkened by years without sunlight, their reflexes sharpened by new perils found beneath the surface at the expense of wisdom and wit. Duergars, the dark cousins of the dwarves, share the magic resistance of their surface counterparts, and the same stocky build, leading to the same lack of swimming ability. However, where a dwarf dislikes venturing near water, a duergar fears it, cursing its very existence.
So this means to me that they are supposed to have more reflexes, Ie a higher dex, and it says at the loss of Wisdom and wit, so they are supposed to have slightly less int and wisdom sure.

Now there are three points that can still go to duergar to balance things out. My opinion is that they should have slightly higher strength and constitution to balance out and make them more even. These are my thoughts, so here we are.

Discuss...

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject:

You forgot to mention the most important difference between dwarfs and duergars.

Dwarfs can be good or neutral.
Duergars are evil.

Evil > Neutral/Good

There are your 3 points right there. Please don't make me elaborate, typing hurts my fingers.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject:

hurts mine too...

duergar water vuln is weaker than the dwarf one

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject:

Evil generally has it worse (inc. races), but its not really what you think here. Mal resist is better than aff (especially when you aren't fighting healers like a lot of dwarves), but most importantly while the dwarf water vuln is harsh as ever, it was toned down a lot on duergar. To the degree that duergar is really solid right now for any of its combos.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: