Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

High Dex/Wis/Int vs High Str/Con
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mummy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Nycticora wrote:
You're talking to the guy who just played an 1100 hp drow invoker
Wtf? Mine had like 800. How did you get 1100? o.o

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject:

You can get 300 hp by wearing 15 items giving +20 hp each. There's a few +50 hp items out there, not to mention some of the +hp sets.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I did those. I didn't come out 1300 post-equipment.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
...elves lost their immortality. ...

What does this mean?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:

He's referring to the way armor class gradually stops preventing attacks completely and moves to being only damage resistance around the level 30s. In low levels, armor class actually deflects attacks (it's what causes a 'miss' damage message)

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm also pretty sure that dex affects mv regen. Running out of mv sucks.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

Fireball, dav has stated that he is not going to simply change things back. So why don't we try to be constructive, think of things that might make things better across the board, than bitching about what is done? I think that maybe making the secondary stats have a higher impact would be nice, or maybe give dex a slight buff to parry/shield block also. Just brain storming here, but that's the way gems are found. Stop bitching and fighting for the sake of it, and make suggestions.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

I don't mind people being misinformed, given that our helpfiles don't give out all this information. Not like this is a bad conversation to have, although it does kind of seem like he is just puffing hot air.

But, with elves, all you have to say to that is "autosneak" and any argument about their stats is over. Flee murders with that silent movement rules. On any giant I would definitely equip a -6 hitroll -6 damroll weapon and never take that off. No can defend. This isn't rocket science. If two races were equivalent on the field you'd pick the one with the autosneak and safer vuln 9 times out of 10. If not, tell me why you wouldnt..?

Also, regarding closing in on larger opponents. Nope, not in martial arts. They'd be able to use elbows instead, which is certainly not worse, so you would not want to do that. Size matters. That's why there are weight classes, and the champions are always huge dudes that cut 30 pounds. Outranging opponents is a REAL thing. Exploiting their own range advantage and opponent over-aggressiveness is often how agile fighters become champions. But this has nothing to do with elf and stone giant. Its just a dumb thing to try to argue a dex buff from, thats all, because its completely wrong. I'd have thought most mudders were nerds and would get bullied in high school, so they'd have understood that a bigger kid was still going to just take their lunch money no matter how much karate they tried to learn.

And lastly, remember these races are from books. There is a tendency for the pretty races - elves, especially - to be elevated to John Rambo power levels in books and movies. The orcs in the hobbit are literally fodder and their best bad guy got beaten by a girl who rarely fights. Please do not bring that bias into AR too. Its dangerous.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:

But, with elves, all you have to say to that is "autosneak" and any argument about their stats is over. Flee murders with that silent movement rules. On any giant I would definitely equip a -6 hitroll -6 damroll weapon and never take that off. No can defend. This isn't rocket science. If two races were equivalent on the field you'd pick the one with the autosneak and safer vuln 9 times out of 10. If not, tell me why you wouldnt..?

And lastly, remember these races are from books. There is a tendency for the pretty races - elves, especially - to be elevated to John Rambo power levels in books and movies. The orcs in the hobbit are literally fodder and their best bad guy got beaten by a girl who rarely fights. Please do not bring that bias into AR too. Its dangerous.

You're being dishonest. You already said elf and giant isn't equivalent in hp gains. They also are far from equivalent in defenses, particlularly when hobbles start to fly. I'm not asking elves to be "rambo status". Im saying they should have equal competitiveness. I'm sure you mean +6 hit/+6dam. On any character regardless of race, you'd take that weapon. This argument is immaterial hot air puffing around.

As we went over, the two races are not equivalent "in the field", and autosneak is negated by a number of things; not wearing a light, spamming murder/bash, hobble, caltraps, mounts, etc. It's not as amazingly powerful as you think it is. Nyctorica said that everyone who wasn't playing with winter rares was miscalibrated, meaning that the winter status rares Rheloth has is proof of clear cut viability, rather than something inferior being propped up to stand on par with others due to superior gear and hp gain from eq. Autosneak without hidden or camo is one of those abilities that rapidly loses it's power as the skill ceiling and ingenuity of players rises, and it's because its just that type of ability.

Maybe the majority of players are miscalibrated as Nyct says, in which case all gear like set gear and gambled gear are traps of mediocrity. Noone is saying elves should be king supreme where a wirey little elf girl kills off the 1 ton monster with a single slice. That's more dishonesty. before cagefighting "mma" went above ground, one of the most consistent winners was a small guy, fyi. And they had no weight limits or anything else. Again, I'm bringing no bias into AR. Further dishonesty. I'm looking at it from the perspective of analyzing the past of races and class/cabal that have most success vs how many successful characters there have been opposite to those.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject:

Fireball, quit fucking calling Dav dishonest for having an opinion on the game that HE RUNS. He isn't saying OH MY GOD YOU ARE THE MOST BIASED FUCKER. He is saying that we need to carefully evaluate WHY we think the way we do. Autosneak is immense, and if the drow or elf removes THEIR light also, then it negates the basics. Warriors are not the only classes for these. Drow have low wisdom, elves, dramatically low con. Please offer a resolution or stop arguing for the sake of argument, man, and try to be productive, or keep your flaming to yourself.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject:

I said the elf hp was low and needed better def, and I gave it to them. I never said the giant hp was high. It isn't high because they 2 prac and 2 pracs per level. They also have really bad def because of the low int/wis. They are more able to overpower peoples defenses through strength but they don't defend well either. This is not a situation where I want to give the high int/dex guy even more hitroll so that a giant can't defend anything.

Like I said, misinformed. Either that or you cannot handle the cerebral load needed to understand all the quirks of these races. I have a bachelors degree in physics and I am able to do it, don't question that I can. That said, I don't think you are able. There are a lot of ways that giant nerfs get sneaked in through the backdoor and I'm sure you are just looking at hit/dam and large size with your elf which is way tankier and way better offense than you are giving it credit for.

Last edited by Davairus on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject:

I never said they should be playing with winter rares. I specifically said they should be playing with soloable non-winter rares and you argued with me about it.

what the fuck is your problem

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

kento wrote:
Fireball, quit fucking calling Dav dishonest for having an opinion on the game that HE RUNS. He isn't saying OH MY GOD YOU ARE THE MOST BIASED FUCKER. He is saying that we need to carefully evaluate WHY we think the way we do. Autosneak is immense, and if the drow or elf removes THEIR light also, then it negates the basics. Warriors are not the only classes for these. Drow have low wisdom, elves, dramatically low con. Please offer a resolution or stop arguing for the sake of argument, man, and try to be productive, or keep your flaming to yourself.

he was making veiled insults, and then he made not so veiled insults [As to flames, like I said on invokation, I let others start before I give it back. I would rather productive discussion, so maybe everyone responding in the manner they are should check themselves] here:

Quote:
Either that or you cannot handle the cerebral load needed to understand all the quirks of these races. I have a bachelors degree in physics and I am able to do it, don't question that I can. That said, I don't think you are able.

Quote:
I said the elf hp was low and needed better def, and I gave it to them. I never said the giant hp was high.

I never said you never said it was high. I said you said elf hp was gimpy in comparison, and that's beyond dispute. Its in your own words earlier in this thread.

Quote:
They are more able to overpower peoples defenses through strength but they don't defend well either.

I've been saying strength overcomes parry for a while now. The breakdown is simple. Str + (1/2)int = parry. Fire giants beat elves. Con + (1/2)wis = shield block. Fire giants still beat elves, but are average on par with humans. Dex = dodge, the one place giants are noticeably worse, yet if both sides hobble, the giant loses little (because you can't lose a lot from something that's already crap) and the elf loses their best defense, and must rely on two subpar defenses.

Quote:
He isn't saying OH MY GOD YOU ARE THE MOST BIASED FUCKER

He actually was.

Quote:
I don't mind people being misinformed, given that our helpfiles don't give out all this information. Not like this is a bad conversation to have, although it does kind of seem like he is just puffing hot air.

Quote:
Please do not bring that bias into AR too. Its dangerous.

The translation is simple:
Quote:
You have no idea what you're talking about, I am a physics major and you dont have any brains, and you want your elves to rambo kill everything.

That is all intellectual dishonesty, not only regarding my position but also in his arguments about why he may be right or wrong.

Quote:
I have a bachelors degree in physics and I am able to do it, don't question that I can. That said, I don't think you are able.
to Readdress this point; I do http://www.amazon.com/Analog-Circuit-Design-Series-Dennis/dp/1891121871 for a hobby and a living. I don't wave a piece of signed degree paper in the air saying "NYAH I'm smarter than you so you're wrong". You should recognize that as physics.

Nycticora wrote:
I never said they should be playing with winter rares. I specifically said they should be playing with soloable non-winter rares and you argued with me about it.

I keep "look" logs of all successful people. It's easier to imitate success than to think, isn't it? Anyway, what you stated was specifically related to spellcasters looking for hp gear, unless you meant to generalize it to others. What I've seen by the kind of people you point to as being "correctly calibrated" is either winter rare pimp suits or non-winter "equivalent" rares. Things difficult to get on your own if at all.

As to my problem and what the fuck it is...

Quote:

Quote:
you are fucked in the head guy

Quote:

I'm going to go one step further and say that if you can't land constant natural ***DEVASTATES*** on your DK, you might as well delete it right now.

You really need to re-evaluate your understanding of every part of the game

Quote:
Otherwise, are you trying to say that you are a retard

you are verbally abusive and I think you're an awful imm because of these qualities you have very publicly revealed about yourself and represent bad qualities in an imm.

Last edited by Fireballe2 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:54 am; edited 2 times in total

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

Fireballe2 wrote:
I don't wave a piece of signed degree paper in the air saying "NYAH I'm smarter than you so you're wrong". You should recognize that as physics.

Dude. My degree paper burns at Fahrenheit 451.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

Talking about the link being related to physics, Erg.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:

I stopped reading at

str+int=parry
con=shield block
dex=dodge

Because you are COMPLETELY WRONG about all of those assumptions. I have never said this bullshit on the forum.

VS Parry, is strength. So the more strength you have, the harder you are to parry.
But to actually perform a parry, you also get a bonus from your wis. And it is not half of your wis, its all of it.
That is why a fire giant, despite a 25 str, does not parry any better than an elf. Because 25+15 and 18+21 is a 1 point difference.

VS dodge, is dex. With the defensive component being Int. giants have a 16 dex and a 15 int. They are shit at dodging. Their total is 32. Elves rule at dodging because they have a giant int and a very high dex. Their total is a whopping 48.

Giants are very good vs parry, which you can weapon advantage and disarm away anyway, while elves are very good vs dodge, which is not easily made up for. Its exactly the case that what elves lose in strength they can easily make up for in dex and weapon advantages. While a giant has to rely on his strength to land some hobbles and weapon advantages work against him because of his vulns. He truly has brute force approach while an elf truly has a finesse approach, and we worked very hard to figure out how to get here. That lower hp on elves is very needed to stop them from being easy mode. They don't need a hp soak to forgive their mistakes that way.

Shield block is WIS+con. Not just con. Again, what giants seem to gain from con they lose in wis. 16+23 is 39. Look at elves. 21+16 is 37. This is a minute difference. There is a major gap between elf tanking and giant tanking.

p.s. If you post a giant inflammatory wall of quote text again I am just going to ban you.

Last edited by Davairus on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

You have actually said int affects parrying and wis affects shield block. I also said wis affects shield block.

Quote:
p.s. If you post a giant inflammatory wall of quote text again I am just going to ban you.

Tell me everything I said was wrong, and I'll publicly apologize. I quoted what you and others have said and translated the intent and meaning behind it.

Last edited by Fireballe2 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

No parry is wis. That's easy to remember from just knowing gnome invokers are uber. Please re-evaluate the rest of your arguments yourself, I am not going to go through them.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
I am going to push back on this because the AC bonus from dex is the logical counterbalance to additional damage from strength, and i already made exceptions. Like bows. I like it that way. If dex is underwhelming, we can do something else with it.

Olyn wrote:
I'm curious if you noticed that 7 of the top 10 killers on the player page are high dex characters. Only one of them has dirt/dodge.

small sample size, olyn. You think it's their dex advantage that puts them there or their class/items/cabal synergy?

dav wants theoretical dks in cabals due to confine + unholy strength splattering. There's a reason for that.

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1098

Burzuk wrote:
One of the problems we’ve had is strength-based races dominating on the offensively in combat, such as fully stacked fire giants with ludicrously high hit/dam rolls. Likewise, lowbie PKing giants wipe the floor with their competition even without much eq due to their natural hit/dam bonuses.

So what has changed? First off, hitroll and damroll used to be based entirely on STR. Hitroll is now based on DEX, while damroll is now based on STR. Fire giants used to receive +12 hitroll and +14 damroll. Under the new change, they will now receive +6 hitroll and +15 damroll instead. Halflings, however, will receive +15 hitroll and +7 damroll, giving them a much more equal footing in combat against giants (giants still have a huge size advantage, physical resistances, etc). Most non-giant races will have received hit/dam boosts across the board now to varying degrees.

The other major change involving hitroll and damroll: hitroll and damroll bonuses from STR and DEX now scale according to level. This means that a level 15 fire giant (or any other lowbie PKing character) will NOT receive their full hit/dam bonuses when they try to lowbie PK. This gives fighting classes an incentive to level up since they’ll be making fuller use out of their race potential, while giving a low-level spellcasters a little more time to flee, since their small hp pool won’t be knocked down as quickly. This won’t affect spellcasting classes much, since they already have a strong incentive to level up for new spells and to better beat their opponent’s spell saves.

Feedback and further discussion are welcome.

You guys put str back in charge of +hit (not logical) and +dam (logical), for the perceived problem that giants have a had time hitting or something, or because people have stopped playing fire giants, when the problem was likely lying in sidestep with icicles/frostbrand being like in-combat backstabs, effigies being added which were too buff, and so on. Prior to the move of hitroll onto dex, giants reigned supreme, and then bows were added for even more power, and Burzuk, in his good judgement, moved hitroll to dex to offset the nice advantages one gets from strength already. Bonus damroll, able to full loot anyone with the press of a button, great at physically crushing the parry of weaker str opponents, better hobble power (and this kills dodge, too, who'da thunk it that hobble and bows were dodge rapers which is why burzuk put hitroll bonus onto dex to give the high dex warriors something to be good at?).

My biggest issue is that it's like watching someone play a game of "balance the ball on the stick". Instead of reverting or toning down previous changes that broke the game, introducing more changes to try to balance out the latest change that broke the game, in order to try to balance it out, even though the core of the game was more balanced before the latest change (as in effigies, which Dav freely admitted were too buff).

So anyway, now at least we have some background as to WHY hitroll was dumped to dex, and who made that decision, and the reasons behind it. Reasons I agree with.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject:

Fireball. I am not reading anymore of your walls of text. Piss off. When you can play some NOTABLE characters and PROVE with characters that there is a problem, then you will have a leg to stand on. Until then? Piss off.

0 0 0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: