Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Racial Exps. Class Exps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should experience penalties be re-assessed?
Yes.
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
No.
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 14

Fireballe2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Racial Exps. Class Exps.

We are all familiar with the race/class exp penalties to "keep the numbers down" or thin out the herd.

http://abandonedrealms.com/realms/classes/

Quote:
Because the PK RANGE is affected by the relative experience points each player has, a large exp cost effectively pits you against players with extra levels on you. This is a natural way of keeping the numbers down of stronger races and classes, and giving them a longer and more perilous road to level 50 in return for the extra ability that they have there. Compounded exp cost combinations such as elf paladins (500 for elf and 350 for paladin) are particularly difficult to take all the way to the pinnacle rank.

Now, admittedly I'll be speaking from the point of hybrids, since that is what I have spent most my time considering.

These rules made complete sense back when hybrids actually had dodge, and there were no dangerous and longer term gimping skills like dirt kick possibly lasting through a tick to prevent people from just avoiding fights until right up to the tick to "time it well", and of course hobble and sideswipes and sidesteps causing damage and lag, and/or removing your damage (by turning off your weapon attacks for a few hits) to boot.

Given all the current changes to the game and the fact that those exp costs existed back when everything was more vanilla, and certain combos were indeed stronger, whether due to skills they still had, or a lack of weapons that completely owned them (giants vs effigies), do you still think it is valid to have experience holes?

It may be a prestige/rarity thing to keep some exp holing these days. Make classes rarer that shouldn't be ubiquitous. However at the same time, does it make sense to "tone down the gimping" of these holes since all of the changes which have gone through?

The best reason I can think of for tweaking Exp Holes is that it deals directly with individuals without actually changing the real power of a class or race at any given level. It's kind of like buffing and gimping without actually damaging racial or class balance in the end.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:

As a side note, I'd be all for slightly increasing some penalties for specific classes or races that might be more powerful than previously, not just reducing classes or races that have been nerfed.

0 0 0
Hrimoyan
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Seeing how Jotuns were placed in races, this kind of assessment may have been made already. However, Elf/Drow hybrids do end up with the short end of the stick especially with mass 5+ level PK range and no defense that takes advantage of their best stats (Elf Paly moreso than Drow DK). However, that could probably just be balanced out with an Elf Paly legacy.

The issue with re-ranking EXP penalties is that certain combos that already mesh well will have a much easier PK range. This leaves some combos out in the cold, but it's the lesser of two evils.

http://abandonedrealms.com/realms/races/
http://abandonedrealms.com/realms/classes/

There are certain combos that contradict the purpose of EXP penalties though, ex. Human Shamans, but no system is perfect.

http://abandonedrealms.com/players/

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:

maybe a combined penalty instead of separate ones for race and class. Say taking human shaman = 100 penalty. It's more work, but it allows tweaking of each specific combo, rather than unintentionally making one specific combo really really good while trying to deal with making the others less of a pain.

I can see how elf/drow might need their exp penalties reduced, in light of the multiple skills introduced that can mess with autosneak, but then ninjas might become too popular.

I don't believe a system can't be perfect. An imperfect system just means a system too simple or not mathematically weighted enough to balance the sums out to zero.

Regarding human shaman, I believe that the penalty isn't JUST about power but also about rarity. If everyone and their mother rolled around with giant berserkers, that'd be very dull and unvaried. From a gameplay and universe perspective, humans being the majority makes sense. But then also from a power perspective, getting dks bitchslapped back in first and second age AR was sensible because they really did have oodles of power when at 50. Charmie doesnt flee with them, basically a form of pet rescue, and dodge, all that good stuff.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: