Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Dups
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject:

HOW DO U DUPE ITEMS ON AR!?!?!? PLZ HELP!! I NEED DUPED TOM AND TFP!! THKZ!!

*tom = Taint of Mashadar
tfp = titanium full plate

0 0 0
Fishpaste

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject:

A few years ago it would be considered blasphemy to reveal the mud's secrets. You'd be lynched for putting dangerous information in the hands of pricks who'd use it to school newbies.

Some things change, but stay the same.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject:

Either way, just letting people know what illusions are useful doesnt mean they will use them correctly. They still have to figure out which illusions have which skills, then use those skills in particular situations. Nothing quite like watching a newbie illusionist get mad when his vicious warriors dont lag an avian.

0 0 0
Ace High

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject:

Ok, I didn't expect this topic to solicit such a controversial response, but let me just say that I'm not just trying to get free hand outs. I'm far from a newb, but also very far from being elite. This just happens to be my first time ever playing an illusionist, and I was simply trying to find out more about what can be duplicated, not some actual tactics for using it. If I was wrong in asking for help, then so be it, but don't get mad at those who are just trying to help bring someone along.

0 0 0
Solitare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject:

You may want to check out the necro article in the strat section. I believe it gives some info on mobs to raise. Raising is not exactly the same as duplicating, but its very similar.

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Raising is not exactly the same as duplicating, but its very similar.

I disagree. There are alot of reasons why raising zombies differs much from duplicating. Zombies are much weaker than illusions and therefore necromancer must find that single buffest mob out there that he can raise. Illusionist on the other hand do not care if the mob is really that tough (especially cause you can haste and enlarge the mobs too). For ills its much more important that there are alot of mobs together in the same area, so if you fail one you can always use another.

Quote:
the list that these guys have provided have missed key illusions even ole boomslang is showing his lack of knowledge in certain areas.
I haven't played an illusionist for a bit now so I might not remember everything, but I think that all the important dupes for evils have been mentioned. Of course it is good to know more than just those few places in case main ones get summoned away or people try to ambush you at them, but with Aldlen I still found that 3 timbers of Onyanth&co were the best (or in some cases tough guards or tritons).

0 0 0
TheOneAndOnly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject:

There are several level 50 mobs out there that can be duplicated, and there are several that are comparable to Onyanth & Co. Timbers in my opinion are some of the weakest mobs to duplicate. As I stated you guys covered the topic rather well, but left some key information out. I prefer to leave it that way.

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject:

You ever tank three timbers at the time with a halfling while blinded?

0 0 0
TheOneAndOnly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject:

As a matter of fact I have, I've also tanked Onyanth, the Warlock, and the Fire soldier. Not saying they don't work on the newb fodder that a lot of Illusionist smash. I'm just saying that there are more effective creatures out there to dup.

Anyways, Adebaldi touched on a very good point. If I could give one tip while playing an Illusionist it would be to be unpredictable. Predictability will kill you. If you gate/group gate to the same mob every time people are bound to start noticing - that can be bad for you and quite possibly deadly. If you would like for me to drop some science on the topic PM me, I am more than happy to coach the young as my time here is almost up. But I'm not much for hand outs.

And Fishpaste it is still considered blasphemy by some, myself for one.

0 0 0
Fishpaste

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject:

All that changed is that these days, you're lynched because you put dangerous information in the hands of newbies who might use it to school pricks. Still is, and always will be, blasphemy.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Since when is advice and strategy on how to play a character a MUD secret? And what boggles my mind is how telling these strategies is hurting nubs like you say it does. If anything hoarding information and good advice hurts nubs- it'll be them who gets their asses whupped by those who do know where to find these mobs. It's unfair to those who spent their time exploring and all- bullshit. Tell me you never had any help figuring out AR. Sure, exploring things and finding things out on your own is a part of the game. No matter how much you know there is still more to discover. But we shouldn't turn nubs asking for help aside just because you may have found something on your own. What's next, should the source of purple potions be a closely gaurded secret as well?

Keeping nubs in the dark doesn't help the mud at all, especially if we're looking for an increase in the playerbase- and more importantly, a competant playerbase (this is why we have strategy guides on the webpage). It just makes for frustrated nubs who are getting slaughtered and can't get any help overcoming the learning curve. I for one am all for a competent players on AR.

This bullshit about how we shouldn't tell the nubs anything is just a way to keep a steady flow of easy kills for those who don't want the trouble of fighting a decent player.

(I should add that some of the people bitching about letting public classified MUD secrets are the same people I see in the chatroom constantly trading such information)

0 0 0
Solitare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject:

divsky wrote:

Keeping nubs in the dark doesn't help the mud at all, especially if we're looking for an increase in the playerbase- and more importantly, a competant playerbase (this is why we have strategy guides on the webpage). It just makes for frustrated nubs who are getting slaughtered and can't get any help overcoming the learning curve. I for one am all for a competent players on AR.

Here here! Well put. Cheetos and hand-jobs for divsky!

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject:

I agree with divsky, and as for me showing my lack of knowledge, Its not my lack of knowledge but rather my lack of desire to share that knowledge at this point.

The mobs I pointed out were the most commonly used mobs, and thus there is no point in hiding it from anyone. Other illusions that I use that are more exotic and powerful in some respects I'd rather not disclose in a public forum, since yes, I do not wish to make known my tricks.

Back to Divsky's point, knowledge about AR should I believe be public...to an extent.

For example, stuff like location of purple potions, easy ranking areas, commands, and basic knowledge of combat skills like dirt blinding for one tick, trip/bash lagging for 1-2 rounds...etc, should never be kept secret from anyone who asks.

It is the more exotic things like how to get the nimbus of power or scarab of death, or detailed knowledge of race-specific skills like leech and cone, exact stats and skills of mobs, or cabal/vampire abilities that should not be discussed in a public forum, since no player NEEDS knowledge of any of this to play and have fun on AR and have successful characters. If they really wanted to find out, at least ask someone IC, or find out for themselves.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject:

ace high, also consider what secondary skills each mob has.

for example, defilers trip, tritons dirt/bash/disarm/shield disarm, timbers bash and something else (i forget), battlemages are naturally hasted and do shield disarm, exile mobs do just about everything, fire soldiers bash more than anything with giant sized bash, etc. each situation and enemy requires a different strategy.

tritons to charge damage (which i think is bashing damage, so its better against gnomes and to an extent halflings), defilers and ettins slash (good against illithids), timbers slash too i think, battlemages do rays, and so on.

besides, its not just mob selection. its the spells you use. dispel magic, terrain, misdirection, faerie fire, shrink, and color spray are all the basic offensive spells you'll use, at least 99% of the time. dispel magic even on warrior types in case they are affected by flight potions. terrain and misdirection are both devastating, faerie fire is maladiction, shrink always hits (unless they changed it), and color spray can blind your opponent (if opponent is only wearing save vs mental and no save vs mal).

anyway, no need to withold this kind of info for those who actually ask for it, because battle tactics are the topic of this forum (the battlefield). share the wealth ~ i personally learn alot from different points of view.

0 0 0
xanthas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Louis wrote:
terrain and misdirection are both devastating

please, no they are not...misdirection doesn't last long enough to be that big of a pain, terrain, well if you can't walk around blind, then i guess it would be

0 0 0
Fishpaste

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Obviously getting hit by both those spells, at the same time, while being chased by three hasted 800 lb gorillas, isn't "devastating" at all.

Dumbass, you're oblivious to the fact that it negates an illusionists biggest offensive problem - having to chase. Those spells alone make it a REQUIREMENT to have saves, never mind the rest.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject:

well it wouldn't be devastating, say, if you had a full suit of prayer and evermore eq or something and were a raging fire berserker.

if you haven't been terrained by githnaru, you might not know what i'm referring to.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Just declare xanthas uber-master-1337 ][D ][ ]\/[ ][D of AR and be done with it... he's mastered the art of evading/living through every single situation you could possibly throw at him... he's even learned to manipulate the AR world around him...

I'm going to start calling him Neo-xanthas, playing in the AR-Matrix...

He is "the One"...

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Louis wrote:
shrink always hits (unless they changed it)

Yes they did.

0 0 0
gomer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject:

how about this... before taking the lazy way and asking on the forum or in the chat room "hey what are good mobs to charm or dup or where are some really good rares" you explore! when you find a mob then con it, then try to charm it, with the proper(?) precautions(?) so that you dont die, or dup it. if you are successful(?) then wow you just learned something all on you own Very Happy . congratulations for a job well done!

that is a lot better way to find out information, to do it on your own.

basically before you post, try to figure it out on your own.

and yes locations of purples, gyvels, what dirt kicking is for or bash, trip, caltraps, throw, grapple, ... that should be something that is easy to figure out and you know what... some of this information is actually posted so that newbies can find it. WOW! that is just like so cool.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: