Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Playerkilling Statistics for Aug 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject:

I can understand being riled if you are being personally attacked by someone, and if you want to defend yourself against such an attack I have nothing against it. However the suggestion of you accepting a blanket statement like that about imms makes me uncomfortable.

The staff here have spent a great deal of time trying to make this game more interesting and pleasant and accessible to players of all sorts and personally, having to read a comment like Devin's is quite frankly depressing. If the players don't believe imms who spend countless hours sitting around trying to make things better for them even care about "people playing [this] little game" (which is not one person's; it is everybody's, because look, we are all playing it), what makes you think that sort of perspective would convince any sane person to want to toil over it at all? Why should we even stay and care about it?

Davairus wrote:
If you are not prepped for a fight at 50, you don't belong there.

This is a perfectly valid statement. The fact that the path to pinnacle is (for newcomers without access to ooc groups) rather long and grueling theoretically allows for a newbie to learn about running and defense tactics at the very least, if not also learning how to go on the offensive. The fact that people are making it to 50 without learning what some would call "the basics" suggests that the groupable range is being restricted to the point where non-newbies will suck in newbies into their groups, power-rank them beyond their learning capabilities, and expect them to perform in a "veteran"-geared environment without letting them take the time to become familiar with skills, spells, game mechanics, and/or areas. (Other quotes by Dav on this thread are rather more inflammatory and in my mind would have warranted quotation to support the comment more than this one. So bad choice of quote there.)

Regardless. I would like to defend the integrity of the forum on the behalf of those that don't "talk **** all day." I would like to believe that there is the existence of an amiable atmosphere. And I don't care if everyone thinks it is a pathetic optimism. If you want to give up hope on the AR community, if you think it's simply full of flamethrowing mudslinging monkeys, then leave. I actually do care about this "little game" and therefore do not dismiss it and everyone involved as lightly.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject:

and just so you dont assume that its Imms v players...

I agree with Vanisse completely. Devin... I mean shit. I know you felt like you had the mob at your back, but you didnt. Imms dont talk smack typically. Burzuk and Dav admittedly are a little bit more harsh with their criticism than most, but... They are allowed. Nothing dav has ever said has wanted me to quit the game. It has made me think he is a complete prick (a feeling I stand by whole heartedly)and perhaps a complete douchebag, but he lets me play, took my noob ass bullshit as I was growing up, and continues to sponsor a great fucking game. If a few people talking shit to you is enough to get you to quit a game you love, then I call you a bitch.

Dav the E-Thug.

(no offense on the bitch comment ladies, since I know your out there (WOOT))

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject:

Isnt devin seryie?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject:

Devin_smoth, blow it out your ass.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject:

I like the players and the imms... I should seriously get a cookie.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject:

I like to think when dav's mean its his way of showing affection. We love you too dav.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject:

That just means you get lynched Rayor.

0 0 0
Devin_Smoth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:

1) I'm not Eyrie (or whatever you said).

2) I didn't mean it was ALL the admins fault, just that a large part of it was. If anyone got told that they were f**king noob who couldn't see the broad side of a barn or hit it with his sword... they would be like, screw you, I'm leaving. How many times do we flame characters in the graveyard for being retarded?

3) How newbie friendly is the game? To be anywhere near competitive at PK, you have to know areas, potions, scrolls, weapons, combat advantages, lag skills, weapon advantages, and your own class skills and what works best again what he's got. That means basically, you have to know the entire game and the mechanics of each of the classes (including racial legacies to some degree). That's a lot of information that would take a TON of time to gather...

It's just a thought.

Oh, yeah, and Dav? I love you too!

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject:

2) your accusation of graveyard flaming applies to everybody, not just imms. when chars go to the graveyard, everybody likes to fling poo at the less popular guys. you even said "we" there... case in point

3) (what does this have to do with already-hijacked thread?) okay yes, there is a lot of knowledge to gather. but nobody expects a complete newbie to leap into the game and be able to fend off the best of vets. a lot of the guys here pride AR (and themselves) on the steep learning curve. and even if you don't want to play on the pk side of things, you have options to stay relatively out of harm's way in a coterie, where the pace is slower and other coterie members are very hospitable and newbie friendly. let's say that if your first serious character is a peace loving herald (mine was), you'll end up actually learning a lot about the game without being mowed down all the time and getting discouraged. the "newbie friendliness" of AR depends on what type of character the newbie prefers to jump in with. if they're the aggressive "i wanna be leet pker" type, chances are someone in range will be most happy to teach him/her a lesson - but if they exploit the various information sources available (forum, invokation logs, arena matches, simply talking to opponent post-fight) they'll still learn a lot and eventually be able to hold their own if not go on the offense.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject:

There's helpfiles, maps, item ID's, logs and a forum to find out everything about the game if a person wants to advance from the newbie-stadium quicker than other ones. The game is not so hard, there's PLENTY of more hardcore muds out there, which still attract new players.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject:

name them. And why are they more hardcore?

0 0 0
Wren

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject:

For what it is worth, I don't think PKing is very easy to learn at all. Hell, running away is still giving me trouble. How could I possibly scamper away from someone who has been playing AR since I was 10, when I just now figured out how to get to Solace? Not so very easy. I have learned far more with my "peace-loving Herald" than I have with any other character, for the simple fact that I go out and explore more because I am not getting attacked by every Joe Blow.

From what I have experienced, I'd say 75% of PKing is knowing the map, knowing your escape routes, and not panicking and forgetting all of this when you DO get attacked. (I remember getting attacked for the very first time and nearly passing out...in real life.) Well...this is good and bad. As far as ease of playing, it is all fairly self-explanatory, but you simply aren't going to see many newbies on this list because it does take time and lots of motivation/persistence to learn.

The beautiful thing is that anyone can learn it. They may lack the finesse or what have you, but the fact that the Immortals have found a middle ground where a new person (like me) can live (most of the time) alongside old, wrinkly veterans (like you) is rather remarkable in the first place.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject:

crazyhorse wrote:
That just means you get lynched Rayor.

I vote for cookie. Not lynching.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject:

Wren, you're learning already! We all get n00bzor'd at first. Even though I was whooping you the other day, you were learning some. And it's good to use all your songs to your advantage, as you saw. but honestly, as a bard, there was NOTHING you could do to have a chance, even with me naked like I was.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:

AR has gotten a lot less ruthless over the years.

I miss that.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject:

Im going to make a bard just to whoop the shit out of kento now because even without eye poke, bards are uber.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Any day, Mullet, any characters. =D

I'm going to turn Wren into a monster

you watch.

0 0 0
Telperion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject:

God I love this game. (This post is already way off topic, so I dont feel too bad with this) If you guys, veterans, want to increase the player base, here is an idea: Play a low level character for 10% to 20% of the time that you play AR. If you play for 10 hours a week for instance, play a lowbie for one and a half of those hours, even if it is a lowbie that you are just going to delete in a couple of weeks because you ranked too high to be considdered a lowbie anymore and you have another main char that you play during your other 85%.
This will have several repercussions:

1: There will be veterans playing at low levels, instructing newbies who 'just happen' to also play at low levels.

2: Those same newbies will find that they are A: Excited to learn about the game. B: Not as frustrated with knowing nothing. C:Sharper at PK because of the teaching, or even just watching/listning to vets. D: they will be much more fun to kill because it will be more challenging:)

3: There will be more action of all kinds at low levels. This will increase low level PK, not leaving newbies in a huge knowledge deficit once they hit mid 40's. This will also increase the rate at which anyone can rank a character to mid levels, because there will be more of a spread of characters, rather than everyone just ranking their one char to 50 and playing it until they delete.

Alright then, Flame on/discuss

0 0 0
Simpleton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject:

I agree with the low level playing stuff. I run into a bunch of people that have no idea of where things are and what to do. Ranking in general is a bit too easy these days, which gets people in trouble. I understand why changes were made to making ranking easier was to minimize the time people spend ranking, but noobs rank too high too fast. When the more experienced players get a hold of them they die easily which might drive off people. One thing I would like to see toned down is the full loots. When you kill someone take what you need and leave the rest. Full loots end up pissing people off and causing new players to quit. This probably doesn't have shit to do with the thread but it should be said.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject:

1. Full loots are fine as they are. There's nothing more satisfying than a full loot.
2. Newbie pk'ing is annoying but something I saw as a necessary rite of passage, I don't support the extent to which things were taken against the level 15 crowd (i.e. characters get castrated) but I'm overruled on it. But I don't believe competition at 15 is even an issue anymore since everyone wants to get to 36 to make pk's "count", so whatever. Other than that, there's nothing to really hamper you from making a simple boring lowbie pker.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> PK stats All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: