Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Record padding deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Keep it around, or not?
Keep it around.
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Trash it.
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
Just change it a little (explain why).
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

Jamus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Record padding deal

Talking about the system that totally screws your PK record over - sometimes for good reason, sometimes not.

Like it, or not?
Keep it around, or trash it?

I personally think that it should get chucked. I have a really "clean" PK record (so I'm not just trying to get my record to look better), but I look at posts like Hargan's where their record should have been a lot better. It seems to do more bad than good. I know my record is going to get screwed, because of a few times where I've killed the same person over and over (in honorable duels, one right after another), when they should count towards clean PKs.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:

The penalties are a bit harsh.

I think they should get rid of mobdeaths on it btw (and I never die to mobs, just saying), unless the person has PK adrenaline to prevent suiciding so the other guy doesn't get the kill.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:

The problems I see with it (this is just opinion) are: 1) suiciding trash like Leslina and Ahyvdor that just feed players pks, and 2) being forced into unwanted conflicts with cabal flags pre-50, i.e. wanted, anathema, intruder, whatever. Warlords aren't in the game anymore though so that's taken care of.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject:

I think it's affective, and I like it. If you don't want to be penalized, stop worrying so much about PK before you pinnacle. The way I see it, this game isn't designed for a lot of pre-50 pvp. So there really shouldn't be *any* rewards (including graveyard rankings) for overzealous pre-50 pk.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject:

then if that is true, they can make it easier to rank, make each mob give 100000 exp. yes the game is designed for pinnacle, but the sad truth is, unless you have perfect ooc ranking groups, or are part of a cabal, it is really damn hard to rank. So, what do you do when you see eight people in <PK> and no one to group with? you go killing, depending on what your char is like of course. So before 50 PvP is still important, wether the game has been designed for it or not. I disagree with the current system.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

The "prize" of AR would be 50, and most 40-50 groups are in-game, with some exception. So far I've been in a few groups that were totally IC, so perfect OOC groups are moot unless you're m1co that's pulling around a multi shell trash fire zerker.

If AR had mobs that give enough experience for insta-50 then there's not much point in having level 50 at all. Then there's also no point in getting equipment so that you can survive your way up to 50. AND then there's no more point in training your way to 50 too, since a scratch would ascend you up there. Then there'd be no point to RP-PKing since everyone's char would be practically trash with no depth and would just full of rampage killing because there's no 'building-up' the character until 50.

And blah blah.. blah blah..

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

I always felt the argument 'the game is meant to be played at 50' is a little disingenous as an explanation for why people shouldn't kill at lower levels. If the only point of the game was fighting at 50, then why allow pk'ing at lower levels at all?
I understand the rationale behind not wanting trash characters to completely screw up people's records; however, I think its foolish to penalize people for doing something allowed in the game (killing before 50).

1 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:

if they care about having some cool numbers that says how many people they killed after death, they'll play by the rules of limitations the system puts in, possibly breaching their RP.

If not, and they dont give a damn about their record after their character dies, they can multikill, niche kill, and do all that other stuff. Everyone who plays will still know that person kills a load of people, which makes the record gimp useless, as all it will tell us is information we already know. All the record does tell us anyway is things anyone should already know if they play consistently, and logboards also prove kills.

if you need RP to PK, niche killing and multikilling can be driven forward because of RP.

If you care about what your numbers look like in a forum after death, thats an OOC concern.

Im not that good a pker, I barely pked at all even when I had an evil chaotic because I was more interested in 50, and perhaps a little worried if I didnt keep my pking in check newbies would get raped and hate the game. I never felt concerned about the record, and I can see how it hurts better players. If you always go for people 3 levels above you and win, if youre sitting at 30 doing it, youre still a niche pker, even if youre obviously better skilled and not being cheap, and looking for a challenge. Has it stopped trash pking? I doubt it. people who trash will do it anyway and not really care about their numbers.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Jamus wrote:
but I look at posts like Hargan's where their record should have been a lot better.

Should have been? On what basis? Could have been if they would've done more leveling, sure. By now though, nobody should be surprised that sitting around racking up kills instead of leveling (Warlord challenges or not) winds up hurting your long-term PK record. This isn't exactly a surprise.

Jamus wrote:
It seems to do more bad than good.

What "bad" is the anti-padding measures causing? We originally implemented the automated PK record posting as a reward people who play the game as it should be played, as the proverbial carrot rather than the stick. Fine-tuning the process so that players who do things we disapprove of (niching, multikilling, etc) doesn't result in a punishment -- it simply doesn't give them the "carrot" or reward of having a shiny record posted. No reward is NOT the same as a punishment. And it's rather easy to preserve a good record if you make a priority out of getting up to 50. Want to bet on what Rigwarl, Vrakka, Taere, etc's records will look like when they delete? Right. And why is that? Because most of their kills didn't come from sitting around at 36 or 38.

Jamus wrote:
I know my record is going to get screwed, because of a few times where I've killed the same person over and over (in honorable duels, one right after another), when they should count towards clean PKs.

Nope, multikill penalties don't apply to arena kills, but other penalties (niching, etc) still apply. Unless you think dueling people at 36 is as meaningful as dueling people at 50?

Slade wrote:
I think they should get rid of mobdeaths on it btw (and I never die to mobs, just saying), unless the person has PK adrenaline to prevent suiciding so the other guy doesn't get the kill.

Except that dying to mobs is often due to activities that offer tangible rewards to help you PK, whether it's accidents from pushing yourself too hard while leveling (levels are very significant in PKs), dying while exploring (area knolwedge is obviously helpful), dying while getting eq, dying while raising zombies, etc. There's far more than just the teleport-flee issue at stake here.

deadzero wrote:
So, what do you do when you see eight people in <PK> and no one to group with? you go killing, depending on what your char is like of course.

8 opposite-align people in PK, and nobody at all in your group range? Yeah, that's a realistic scenario. And if you've antagonized everyone so much that you're having trouble leveling, whose fault is that? Lots of 50's make it up there without OOC groups or cabals.

And contrary to what you might think, the overwhelming majority of those who reach 50 also do so without penalizing their records. As I've said before, you can rack up 100+ kills before level 49 (where anti-niching penalties end) without a single penalty, so long as you actually mix in a level into your PKing regularly (and don't do other penalty-incurring things, such as multikilling). On the other hand, you have a handful of players sitting at the same level for a dozen kills, and then turn around and wonder why their record is trashed. But why should a nicher like that deserve to have their record treated like Taere's, Rigwarl's, and so on? The answer: they shouldn't.

Rezakhan wrote:
If the only point of the game was fighting at 50, then why allow pk'ing at lower levels at all?
I understand the rationale behind not wanting trash characters to completely screw up people's records; however, I think its foolish to penalize people for doing something allowed in the game (killing before 50).

Just because it's allowed doesn't mean it's condoned. And does it make sense that when we go out of our way to try to use the carrot instead of the stick, we get complains that what we're trying to discourage is still "something allowed in the game"? Would you prefer if we auto-denied once someone has crossed the niching or multikilling threshold instead of penalizing OOC PK records? What are you, masochists?

We don't want you to multikill, niche, etc. It's simple: AR would be really lame if everyone did that -- it would lead to only dedicated OOC and/or cabal leveling groups are the only ones to hit 50 while everyone else would be grouping from being busy multikilling naked people at lower levels (easiest way to pad records). And we're trying to discourage you from doing so using a gentle but fair and effective method. Don't forget: de-fanging PK record penalties would sabotage the credibility of those who have accrued good records in respectable (and encouraged) ways. Our players should be rewarded properly for their achievements.

Mandor wrote:
Everyone who plays will still know that person kills a load of people, which makes the record gimp useless, as all it will tell us is information we already know.

You're forgetting that one reason we have this graveyard system is so that characters have a chance to have their characters memorialized for posterity's sake. Will everyone reading a graveyard record be someone who has interacted with that specific character? Of course not.

I think just about everyone would agree that the activities that are penalized (multikilling, niching, etc) are NOT behaviors that should be encouraged or rewarded. And neither are kills made in those ways an accurate gauge of one's competitive PKing ability, which our PK records aim to reflect.

0 0 0
Daesu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject:

I think I like how the padding system works now, so I hope this doesn't sound like a complaint against it.

I was just thinking of when I was waiting to be knighted, though. I sat at rank 40 as a squire for 1-2 weeks, somewhere in there. In that time I was trying to be as active as possible so I Would get squired, and there so happened to be a lot of evils to fight. I remember after 4 or 5 days of getting a kill or two, I realized I should stop logging on in hopes of knightdom or else I'd get penalized.

I wish it wasn't like that, but I donno if that would mean lighter reins on the niche padding for cabal apps, or maybe the cabals allowing you to go over 40, or something.

0 0 0
The Zealot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Burzuk wrote:
Jamus wrote:
but I look at posts like Hargan's where their record should have been a lot better.

Should have been? On what basis? Could have been if they would've done more leveling, sure.

No, i think 'should have been' works better, in the sense that as a cabal character I shouldn't have been playing in a way to get myself penalised. So the emphasis on 'should' lies on my shoulders there.

That said, however, I was surprised to see my record on deletion. It certainly wasn't my intention to niche, and I found it was less a case of trying to duel as many people as possible as it was trying to fill up the time when I couldn't rank. Sure, there are far harder combos to rank than a dwarf warrior warlord, but not grouping with magic users can be tough, and there was a relative paucity of shamans/paladins to make the ranking viable while I was in those levels. I did manage to rank whenever and wherever possible, but it seemed to take forever. As a measure of how long it took (real time), I'd been ranking hargan from about lvl 30 since late march, I believe.

Anyway, I was, as I said, surprised at my record. I'll accept I must have done something wrong to accrue a penalty of that size, but I don't remember involuntarily 'niching' enough to screw my record over to that extent. I'm taking a stab in the dark and guestimating the pk limit per level is about 8 (supposing it's linear across the levels), and I certainly don't remember going over that at any one rank. Still, I must have done something, it's fair play. I'm just disappointed, given the fact that it wasn't intentional, (and that a warlord without stance fighting duels is hardly exploiting advantages) that I don't get to see my score.

In all, I'm in favour of penalty-adjusted pk records. Just...not when they apply to me. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject:

Daesu wrote:
I think I like how the padding system works now, so I hope this doesn't sound like a complaint against it.

I was just thinking of when I was waiting to be knighted, though. I sat at rank 40 as a squire for 1-2 weeks, somewhere in there. In that time I was trying to be as active as possible so I Would get squired, and there so happened to be a lot of evils to fight. I remember after 4 or 5 days of getting a kill or two, I realized I should stop logging on in hopes of knightdom or else I'd get penalized.

I wish it wasn't like that, but I donno if that would mean lighter reins on the niche padding for cabal apps, or maybe the cabals allowing you to go over 40, or something.

In my experience the guys who are the wanted/anathemas, and the guys who spam constant attack on others without any apparent intention of ranking, and the guys who end up with totally crap records, are the same people. So I would think that could be addressed, if this was ever deemed needed, without making special exceptions for cabals.

If you were just talking about stuff like, Knights being able to kill more "evils" because they've joined a cabal, that's definitely not fair to everyone else, including their victims.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject:

well this IS a pk mud first, secondly, if he cant rank up, and he cant pk, whats the point of logging on.. he'd be sitting around doing nothing.

Quote:
If you always go for people 3 levels above you and win, if youre sitting at 30 doing it, youre still a niche pker, even if youre obviously better skilled and not being cheap, and looking for a challenge by attacking people WITH ranks on you.

Has it stopped trash pking? I doubt it. people who trash will do it anyway and not really care about their numbers.

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject:

Burzuk- I just don't think that sitting around at 36/38 and killing honorably is a bad thing... especially when you don't have a group. You shouldn't have to be pinnacled to have fun with a game, and not get penalized for it.

The bad of the PK system, is that you get screwed for Pks that weren't trash PKs, and when people look at your record, it looks like you broke all the rules, when really you didn't, and I don't see any way of adjusting it so that that doesn't happen. It would have to be monitored non-stop by real person.

Those 7 duels in a row weren't arena duels. And I do think dueling at 36 is just about as meaningful as at 50. Why not?

Amen Slade on the mobdeaths.

8 in PK, you could say half would be the same align as you. There is a good chance that half of the same align wouldn't want to join you, because they're busy or something.

Sorry for not quoting, maybe saying something already been said. I'm too smart to read all of it. Smile

Edit: And, with all due respect, I think you're doing a very good job, but... I think it matters what all of the players want, not the makers of the game. Not saying that is just me, but I get the vibe that most of everyone either wants it changed or dumped.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject:

Whenever you guys write "blah blah, all players want..." I just go @_@. You guys are expressing your personal opinions, can you replace "all players" with "I" or "Me"?

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:

With all the things to do on AR, taskings, questing, etc.. etc.. you can't find anything to wait off the downtime to being inducted? In my experience, it's been that if I apply before 30, I get talked to somewhere around 32-35, and get inducted by the time I hit 40. That leaves me with enough room to PK some (FLAGGED) and continue leveling up. Sometimes you can solo rank for about 100 xp a kill as well. That's just more tedious. As far as pk penalties go, if you're focusing on ranking, and not on pking, you don't suffer so many penalties. If penalties are affecting your rp, maybe you should reconsider it. Personally, penalties haven't stopped me from killing and multikilling.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject:

if you dont want to have pk penalties then don't pk as much. do what Clifton said quest, solo-rank, or just sit back and rp. The pk system is in placed for showing people who the trash pk people are, and some people who pk without ranking the system works so leave it alone.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:

Mobdeaths need to count. Its already been explained why well, so I don't know why you keep on saying it. Some of us are capable of staying alive vs mobs and this helps our pk record out.

0 0 0
sissuris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: reply

I came to the conclusion on how to amass a pk record without penalties on larieb, and I activily pk'd but ranked inbetween. I dont think i lost any pk's from the anti-padding. After changing my pk ways from my drows which were infact niche, to a + you really werent trying hard enough hargan

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

is it possible to amass those 100 pks all the way to 50 by still killing people 3 - 5 ranks under you? If the answer is yes, a good system beating trash pker will still get that nice high pk score in the end.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: