Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

To Burzuk, concerning changes to PK records

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolfy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: To Burzuk, concerning changes to PK records

I was informed by an Imm that my lvl43 ranger Ulf's PK record was getting ruined, because I have been PKing at lvl43 without leveling. He said that I had nothing to lose if I were to post something about it (I hope not), so here goes. I happen to think of this as a special case, and was wondering if anything could be done in light of the special circumstances. The changes to cabal level restrictions came out when my ranger was at lvl43. Normally, the change to PK records should complement the change to cabal level restrictions. However, this is only the case for new characters or those characters who were level 30 or under when the note came out. For those few characters, who were already at a high lvl before the changes came out, the new changes are highly detrimental. Because I cannot rank, all I can do is sit at my rank. Normally, under the new rules, this would be lvl30, where not too much PK should be going on. However, as I am already lvl43, many PK fights have been provoked. To add to this problem, the Immortal of Legion, the only one who is willing to review applications and induct at the moment, has been on vacation. Therefore, I have been left with two choices, 1. go inactive, 2. log in and become involved in PK battles.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Maybe if you were doing something other than just preying off of the lvl 35-40's that can't rank past 40 due to cabal limitations.

You've got to admit that's a pretty convinient rank for a human ranger. You're not in the lvl 50's PK range yet, but you've got plenty of ranks on all the people trying to get into cabals.

0 0 0
Rolfy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

If you were to check the records, you would find that I ranked to lvl43 shortly before the cabal restriction came out, so it was not planned out (nor could I know that such a change would be coming). Furthermore, I can think of much better ranks for a ranger to "niche." The large majority of my PK battles are not provoked by myself, and I have never killed another character more than once, unless they sought revenge and provoked me again afterwards. Many of the battles I have fought with those at a lower rank than me are 1on2, not to say I have been fighting mostly with those at a lower rank than myself.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Divsky, dont be a dick dude.

Rolf, I dont think you deserve any sort of special help or anything. It takes off a few kills only if you are pking the shit out of people lower rank than yourself. What you heard from the IMM was probably an overstatement to try and scare you into ranking. I wouldnt lose any sweat on it. You just keep pking the shit out of people.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm being a dick? No, I'm responding a little harshly because the truth is being stretched a little bit here.

Quote:
However, as I am already lvl43, many PK fights have been provoked.

I don't think killing naked people right after they unghost when you have 5 ranks on them really counts as them provoking you.

0 0 0
Rolfy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't think killing naked people right after they unghost when you have 5 ranks on them really counts as them provoking you.

Cite your evidence, cuz I seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Last time you killed Gokah.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I was informed by an Imm that my lvl43 ranger Ulf's PK record was getting ruined, because I have been PKing at lvl43 without leveling.

They should NOT have told you this, as this information is strictly need-to-know Imm information (has no gameplay effects so no need to discuss specifics with morts), just like other PK records. Unlike the lowbie PK penalty, which is to encourage people to level up (and has gameplay effects that scale in severity), the anti-niching penalty is NOT designed to "force" people to level up since there are no gameplay effects. It's designed to curtail abuses with the widely acknowledged problem of people trying to "pad" or "game" the PK record system, that's all.

Also, the system is new and there are many different scenarios incur penalties. It's possible that, for example, you had incurred a multikill penalty and whichever Imm divulged your PK info without permission had reported it to you as the same-level PK penalties. In other words, the Imm could be wrong, you might still have plenty of unpenalized PKs for your level, except you'd eaten already some penalties for getting them in cheap ways, that's all.

As I mentioned in my announcement, the per-level limits are rather generous (over 100+ PK's total between 36-48), so you'd have to have been trying hard to accrue PKs if you did in fact manage to push yourself over the per-level limits.

Quote:
Normally, under the new rules, this would be lvl30, where not too much PK should be going on.

Between levels 30-40 actually, which means people apply pre-30 and they have at least 10 levels to do their PKing with while being observed as a cabal applicant. Those who mix in some PKing while making reasonable progress with levels have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
However, as I am already lvl43, many PK fights have been provoked.

Reminds me of Reagan's nonadmission of "mistakes have been made" -- who's doing the provoking here? I've personally seen you get into fights over rares, threaten an invoker for enchants, etc. Now it's perfectly kosher for you to do this, mind you, almost expected on some level. In fact, it's conflicts like these that drive the game, and this behavior is par for the course for evils. However, to also expect your PK record to profit from this while remaining at the same level for an extended period of them -- the answer will be a resounding no.

Not all evils -- even other Legion apps -- have provoked as many fights as you have, so I don't think the problem is an inherently systemic one here.

Quote:
Therefore, I have been left with two choices, 1. go inactive, 2. log in and become involved in PK battles.

Or beat the snot out of them, let them get away with a warning, and get back to what you were doing before: killing mobs for eq, training on mobs, doing auctions, raising and saving money for gold for future level 50 gambling, run through the less-risky parts of Winter to collect teleport eq, try to RP with people and try to get them protection, etc. Ronus isn't looking for mindless kill-bots with huge PK records for Legion -- he can't even see PK records.

Lastly, I remind you that cabals aren't for every single character. A good PKer doesn't need a cabal to back him up or have cabal skills to help him land kills (it's obvious Rolf that wouldn't have landed nearly as many without a certain skill involving the Dark Rift, for example). As a rather die-hard PKer in my mortal days, I've definitely played many more uncaballed 50's (both good and evil) than caballed ones, and my uncaballed chars definitely did a better job of PKing, IMO (and RPing as well, since being uncaballed left me with fewer RP restrictions). Don't forget that I even Immed with an uncaballed PKer. If you're really that worried about how the cabal application process will affect your PK record, then it seems to me that you're either looking for cabals as:

a) "Bonuses" and "backup for re-eq/group fights" to help your build you PK record, in which case you can look at any damage to your PK record during the application process as paying a tax for the future benefits you'll reaping; or
b) An unnecessary shackle/training wheels that you don't need to begin with, and hence the leveling restriction during the application process is a sign that you're better off solo anyway.

IMO I think it's much easier to "prove" yourself as an uncaballed than as a caballed char, since the many perks of being a caballed character also dilutes the achievements they make -- if that's your ultimate goal (which it may well not be).

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I was informed by an Imm that my lvl43 ranger Ulf's PK record was getting ruined, because I have been PKing at lvl43 without leveling.

Nope.. I gave them a forum link in passing conversation while IRC folks were talking about the reaper changes, I also pasted the most relative excerpt. It reminded him of the effect of pking without levelling. The rest is just him voicing his assumptions and drawing his own conclusions about his character, which he says, has been sitting at its rank pking because of its cabal application. (I don't know if there's any truth in that or not, but the previous character "Rolf" only had five total kills when it first hit level 50)... well anyway, he hasn't recieved insider info, he was just given link to forum posts he apparently didnt read when they were posted.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject:

Grandma = Rolf
Guy at table = Dav
Guy who walks in = Burzuk

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: