Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Mystics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A) Introduce Mystic cabal... erm.... organization.... to record the history of Thera as opposed to Heralds, who are mainly gossip....

B) Introduce Mystic ORGANIZATION to be dumb scientist bastards who bring in all kinds of crap from other worlds, dimensions, etc...

IF A:
Define history. Would history be classified as deaths, major events (such as Taekir Invasion), and.... what? Define history PLEASE!

1) organisation, not cabal
2) true history of World recorders (not the unserious Herald journalism style)

Definitely "major events", could go something like, they follow the impact of game changes, and if its wild enough they write a piece on it with compilations from all over Thera. If it doesn't change the world or kill a lot of people, it wouldn't belong in that kind of archive. The perk for the people in charge of writing it up is they get to decide what goes in, so an evil leader could play down victories of the Light and drum up Legion victories.. thus they'd want to oust him, etc. For that reason I think you'd rarely see anything besides a neutral despot.

Stats upon our website show that people view the history pages, and I also see questions about those events in the forum, so I think a group dedicated to updating that could possibly work for us. But it was only a passing thought so ..don't get too excited. There are bigger and better things to come yet.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't see any way for Mystics to be reintroduced other than as a supplement to Heralds, i.e. a "Heralds 2" organization with a somewhat different emphasis. This means: no conflicts/warfare with cabals, no cabal area, no cabal powers.

It may be possible with a suitably appropriate emphasis and, more importantly, sufficient interest.

0 0 0
Reken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

davarius i talked to krinzach earlier and he said you would know him and reexpressed his intrest in the mystic orginazation being created.

0 0 0
Kessor Natul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Quote:
A) Introduce Mystic cabal... erm.... organization.... to record the history of Thera as opposed to Heralds, who are mainly gossip....

B) Introduce Mystic ORGANIZATION to be dumb scientist bastards who bring in all kinds of crap from other worlds, dimensions, etc...

IF A:
Define history. Would history be classified as deaths, major events (such as Taekir Invasion), and.... what? Define history PLEASE!

Stats upon our website show that people view the history pages, and I also see questions about those events in the forum, so I think a group dedicated to updating that could possibly work for us. But it was only a passing thought so ..don't get too excited. There are bigger and better things to come yet.

1) Bigger and better... can you enlighten us?
2) On a sidenote, I was noticing some time ago that the whole ents attacking Seringale thing was not put into the history.... is that not considered significant? Just curious...

0 0 0
Kessor Natul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Dav?

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

You should make a mystics like the wizards out of a terry pratchet book.
Anyone know what I am talking about?

Grayden Grim of Discworld

0 0 0
Reken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

i know what your meaning, even though that would be great what dav is thinking is much more workable and would help the realms more than those type of wizards.

0 0 0
Noliperus_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject:

Not to bring back an old argrument, but I was just reading through this and thinking that all these ideas for a new purpose for Mystics aren't really needed. What's wrong with them just being what they were? More or less a place for mages to call home? There was always interest in them when they were just a bunch of mages that didn't really do much. I don't really see the need to re-define them. I look around the 50s and see several mages with no cabal and nothing to do. This might give them something to belong to. Why bother looking high and low for a new purpose when one isn't really needed to begin with. IMO it was a mistake to make them really agressive in the first place. I understand that alot of the IMMs don't understand that there are people who don't need to be fighting all the time, but still want to feel like they're a part of something, but just because the IMMs don't have that feeling should that deprive those of us who do?

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:

Noliperus_ wrote:
Not to bring back an old argrument, but I was just reading through this and thinking that all these ideas for a new purpose for Mystics aren't really needed. What's wrong with them just being what they were? More or less a place for mages to call home? There was always interest in them when they were just a bunch of mages that didn't really do much. I don't really see the need to re-define them. I look around the 50s and see several mages with no cabal and nothing to do. This might give them something to belong to. Why bother looking high and low for a new purpose when one isn't really needed to begin with. IMO it was a mistake to make them really agressive in the first place. I understand that alot of the IMMs don't understand that there are people who don't need to be fighting all the time, but still want to feel like they're a part of something, but just because the IMMs don't have that feeling should that deprive those of us who do?

Start an in-game character-driven campaign to recruit these "several mages with no cabal and nothing to do." If they're all into sitting around and doing nothing as a group, then pick a spot to do so together, and continue to build interest.

If it picks up and becomes a full-time thing (competitions like "who can create the most mushrooms without failing or losing concentration"?), then come back and present your case with evidence. Who says you need a cabal to do nothing?

0 0 0
Reken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:

well i think that if there was a more solid Mystic cabal/org. than there would be more active mages and if you keep the req. for the group to a high standard that you would have the mages in the realm being more active and not just backpack xping off of the fighting classes.

0 0 0
Reken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

bump

0 0 0
Reken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

bump

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Nothing is stopping you to try and do this yourself in-game. Simply find a buddy (who you don't know OOC) who shares that common interest and expand from there. You don't need special powers or a cabal to make a difference in the world. As for custom titles, it could happen with time and reputation.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Reken wrote:
well i think that if there was a more solid Mystic cabal/org. than there would be more active mages and if you keep the req. for the group to a high standard that you would have the mages in the realm being more active and not just backpack xping off of the fighting classes.

Problem: mages can't tank.

Solution: they have to rely on "backpack xping off of the fighting classes".

If you can come up with another way for mages to rank (that doesn't involve making mushrooms) then by all means suggest it. However, in any RPG or fantasy-type game I've played (D&D/AD&D, video games, muds, etc.), the fighter-types are the ones that get in close to take blows, while the mage-types are lurking way the hell away, casting spells like "magic missile" and "lightning bolt" that travel to their target. At least that's how my campaigns always played. One of my buddies made one of those "battlemage" types (I guess they'd be like our hybrid classes here... paladin, dark knight, etc.) but he got trounced repeatedly, so... yeah.

Again - if you want a mages-only group to form up, try and generate something in-character. I've seen at LEAST 3-4 player-driven "groups" crop up in the last few months, but the players behind them never have the time or patience to actually get something off the ground.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: