Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

What the flaming ____ ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: What the flaming ____ ?

exam warder
You see a man that seems to fade with the background. He has a hard face
looks like it can cut stones with. His eyes are sharp like an eagle. He
has dedicated his life to fight the shadow and the evil in the land.
Perhaps the greatest fighter that you'll ever meet.
A warder is in excellent condition.

A warder is using:
<worn about body> (Invis) a cloak of shifting colors

request cloak warder

A warder says 'You dared to ask for something you won't be able to use?'
A bolt from the heavens smites you!
You yell 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!'
The Gods have forsaken you.

You apologise and meditate for a while on how rude you've been.
You rest.

First, I logged onto this character today to find every single rare, worn or carried, purged. I know about overmaxes, not playing enough, carrying maxes, etc.. But, I have been playing an average of about six hours on weekends, due to school, and an hour plus during week. How the time purge happened is beyond me. I know of characters on considerably less that have not been purged. Considering the fact that I find it highly, highly unlikely every rare I carry was maxed out, that isn't a factor, and I am 50, carrying two rares. But I didn't complain, whatever. I went out to re-equip, requested a few things, and tried to get the cloak when I saw it was in, and this happened. I can understand items changing, for not being to be requested by a certain race or ethos or whatever, but this is getting ridiculous. Three or four times now i've been smited and damned for requesting something I thought I could use! The lengthy damnation is a bit over the top, as well as the smite. With all the talk of making it easier on newbs, what do you think the above situation would do to one who's gotten their first good aligned up high enough to get anything, and then... BAM, this happens and they die from it?

Maybe have the MOB say you can't use it, and just refuse to give it up? Because this current penalty system is bull feces. Post something on what items are changed, or slack downt he panlties. Please. Because otherwise it just frustrates people to no end. Have a flag on the item letting them know they can't have it, whatever.... Just, damn, this is a bit harsh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I logged onto this character today to find every single rare, worn or carried, purged.

That's why gambling is so good - first, you can gamble non-rares if you dont intend to play much. And second, you don't get ASS FUCKED because somebody hoards rares they dont even play enough to keep hold of. As for the cloak it became a wild item or something.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Similarly, how am I supposed to know the holy water sprinkler is a flail and not exotic? ZAP. How am I supposed to know such and such weapon is a spear and not polearm? ZAP. Very annoying, I don't like how its handled either..

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject:

I am less worried about the purge than I am the smite/damnation. I think there needs to eb some sort of indication/warning if you can'trequest an item. I.E: a warder says 'You can not use this! Do not ask again!' and if you do, bammo, hit 'em with the penalty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject:

Slade wrote:
Similarly, how am I supposed to know the holy water sprinkler is a flail and not exotic? ZAP. How am I supposed to know such and such weapon is a spear and not polearm? ZAP. Very annoying, I don't like how its handled either..

Necause 'holy water sprinkler' will come up on google as a flail. =p Its a bishop's weapon, that's how it got the name - looks like those incense pot things, and used by priests to adminster punishment.

That and there's an ID site to search..

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm a big contributor and supporter of that ID database, but still many items remain that aren't in it (sprinkler). Plus, many people don't know about the site as well. I like QW's idea of the warning before the zap.

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject:

Why doesn't anybody talk about "that-site-which-shall-not-be-named"? Its not against the rules or anything, is it?

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject:

*edited for stupid content*

Last edited by Sebryn on Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
John Dyne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject:

I think a warning like 'CONSIDER before you KILL, you're about to find out why' for damnations and such would be nice. When I first rolled up my monk, I didn't figure the consider system was that different here, so didn't persue the helpfiles, because I've played TONS of MUDs with consider.

I figured the second line just covered the aggressiveness, since goblins grinned and always attacked. So my lightwalker monk rolls up to a brownie and starts fighting, with my ranger friend watching in case I need help. I finish it.. and lose an assload of XP and find myself 'damned'. That was certainly not a pleasant surprise.

I prayed about it and got it lifted, I think, or it may have just worn off really quick. Either way, it was a nasty little feature to discover (though a very interesting one), and warning would probably be a good thing for it.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject:

Actually, you apologized after the fact Sebby.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: